Standish is a neighborhood within the Powderhorn community in Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States named after Captain Miles Standish. Its boundaries are East 36th Street to the north, Hiawatha Avenue to the east, East 42nd and 43rd Streets to the south, and Cedar Avenue to the west. It shares a neighborhood organization with the Ericsson neighborhood, even though that neighborhood is part of the Nokomis community; signs at the neighborhood boundaries welcome you to “Standish-Ericsson”. Roosevelt High School is located in Standish.
Here are some of the things we have enjoyed…
- Our neighbors are amazing. We have a very active block captain who helps to ensure that everyone knows everyone else. We are very close friends with several of the families on the block. Our in-home daycare is another family just 2 blocks away.
- Sibley Community Center, free ice skating all winter. Classes (tumbling), inexpensive community events (Pancake breakfast, movies in the park, cookouts). Amazing soccer games on the weekends. The playground is fine but all due for an update in the next year.
- Lake Hiawatha splash pad and party room. Perfect for a quick walk on a pretty day
- Running the ‘loop’ in the Sibley meadow and playing Frisbee/picnicking in the green space
- The newly renovated Roosevelt library
- Shops at 42nd and 38th are almost all you’d ever need: Buster’s gastropub has amazing beer flights and tasty food. A Baker’s Wife has the best donut holes (fresh and hot!) we’ve ever had. The Angry Catfish coffeeshop and bike store will get you and your ride up and going. We make weekly trips to Ace Hardware, run almost entirely by one family. Dr. Amos is an incredible Vet. Bill’s Chinese is some of the best take-out we’ve had.
- Bike lane on 40th Ave or go a few blocks south to the Parkway or north to the Midtown Greenway
- Half a mile to the light rail station. Two blocks to Cedar metro bus stop.
- Right in between midtown Farmer’s Market (Saturdays) and Kingsfield Farmer’s Market (Sundays)
- Zumba and dance classes at Social Dance Studio
- Homebrew and vintage games at the Chatterbox
- The new gastropub Northbound Smokehouse Brewpub
- One of the best butcher’s in the city is at 38th and Cedar
- Restaurants at 42nd and Cedar: Pupuseria and Collosal Café are great casual dining spots
- Our neighborhood is the original home of e-democracy.org. SENA (Standish-Ericsson Neighborhood Association) is the most active neighbor forum so you we have a strong online community.
The Best Things To Do In Minneapolis’s Standish Neighborhood
1.A Baker’s Wife
Topping the list is bakery A Baker’s Wife, which offers doughnuts, coffee and tea and more. Located at 4200 28th Ave. South, it’s the highest-rated business in the neighborhood, boasting four stars out of 392 reviews on Yelp. The menu offers oatmeal raisin cookies, Russian tea cookies, American tea cakes and more.
2.Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub
Next up is smokehouse and brew pub Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub, situated at 2716 E. 38th St. With four stars out of 376 reviews on Yelp, it’s proven to be a local favorite. Look for burgers, hummus and wings on the menu.
3.Hamburguesas El Gordo
Hamburguesas El Gordo, a spot to score burgers, tacos and hot dogs, is another top choice. Yelpers give the business, located at 4157 Cedar Ave. South, four stars out of 112 reviews. Don’t miss the Asada Fries.
Jackalope Tattoo, a tattoo spot, is another much-loved neighborhood go-to, with five stars out of 24 Yelp reviews. Head over to 3753 Cedar Ave. South to see for yourself. According to the website, the spot is “home to nine talented female or non-binary identifying tattoo artists.”
“Standish, Minneapolis” │ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standish,_Minneapolis
“Standish… Minneapolis neighborhood with lots of families with children that own their homes” │ https://homesmsp.com/2013/06/standish-minneapolis-neighborhood-with-lots-of-families-with-children-that-own-their-homes.html
“The Best Things To Do In Minneapolis’s Standish Neighborhood” │ https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2019/12/11/the-best-things-to-do-in-minneapoliss-standish-neighborhood/